God's Free Word Book Store

Monday, July 31, 2017

Love is Messy - Unconditional Love is Messier




Love is Messy - Unconditional Love is Messier

The concept of unconditional love is great and ideal for those of us that have proclaimed Christ as our Lord, but it can also be a daunting and quite perplexing at times. 
  
Most of the time I don't realize how conditional my love for others is. And when I get hurt because my conditions have not been met, disappointment sets is, resentment and bitterness can quickly creep in. When I least expect it, i have shut down, and shut out the people I am supposed to "love" so much. 

I then resort to self help books, seeking knowledge and self empowerment... and then I realize, 

No amount of sacrifice, knowledge, power, money, etc., will ever bring peace that comes from true love... we may deceive ourselves into thinking that we've "gained" or attained something, but God reminds us that we gain "nothing" seeking out these things. 
Scripture reminds us that true knowledge is attained only when we seek out God's heart -- "... God IS love." ~ 1 John 4: 8

"If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing."
1 Corinthians 13:1-3 NIV



No comments:

Post a Comment