God's Free Word Book Store

Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Truth About You




Opening questions: Who are you? On a scrap piece of paper write the words "I AM" at the top of the page and then take a few minutes to write 5 things that describe who you are. Things about your self. Things that you are proud of and that make you, who you are (examples; I am a basketball player, hard worker, funny...etc.)

  • When you look at those 5 things, how does it make you feel?
  • Does it give you a sense of value?
  • Are you proud of those things?
  • Do you take pride in who you are?

Point One: You have value because you were created by God. Not because of what you can do or who you are or who you will become.

Psalms 139:13-14
13 For you created my inmost being; 
   you knit me together in my mother's womb. 
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; 
   your works are wonderful, 

  • Why did God create you? Did God create you to simply graduate from High school, go to college and make a lot of money? Did God create you to just to become everything that you desire to be?
  • Why did God create you?

Ephesians 2:10
10 For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

God has prepared in advance his will for us. He has a plan and purpose for each of you.
  • What do you think Gods plan for you is?

Jeremiah 29:11-13
11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

  • What does it say Gods plan is for you?
  • What does God want from you?
  • How does God want you to seek him?

Point two: True happiness and true value in life is not found in worldly things (school, careers, possessions, relationships or achievements...etc). True happiness is found in seeking after God and seeking his will for your life.

1 John 2:16-17
16 For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. 17 The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.

Look back at your "I AM" papers for a moment. I'm going to call out a few things and if they're things that you wrote down or described, I want you to cross them out.

Cross out:
  1. Possessions you own...money, ipods, guitars, clothes, etc.
  2. Personality traits you have...funny, outgoing, crazy, etc.
  3. Sports you play...soccer, volleyball, baseball, etc.
  4. Things you like...music, television, movies etc.
  5. Physical characteristics...color of hair, height, etc.
  6. Where you go to school or live, your hangouts, family situations, etc.
  7. Anything else that describes you still left on the page...grades, friends, etc.

  • What do you have left? "I AM"

Once you realize that you are not defined by your name or your family, once you realize your definition is not from what you do at school or what sports you play, once you know that your personality is not what gives you purpose, the only thing left on your page is "I AM"

"I AM" is the name that God gave himself in Exodus 3 when Moses asked him who he is. God could have described himself in many ways, but he choose those two words "I AM". God is the reason we have our existence, value and purpose in our lives.

Everyone of you is about to start a chapter in your lives and it can be very tempting to allow who you want to become or the accomplishments you want to achieve to define you as a person. And it can be very tempting to look at those things as having absolute value. It can also be tempting to allow those things to consume your life. But I want to encourage each of you to define yourselves by your relationship with God. To seek after following him with all your heart and by living out his plan and purpose for your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment